Sunday 26 June 2005

synagoge

This morning I went to visit the service in this synagoge. I came knowing I'm not going to understand.:p (Everything is in Hebrew; except the sermon, it was in Dutch.) Nevertheless, I was determined to come. So there I was, sitting upstairs (men sit downstairs, women upstairs).

It was 5 of us, 3 male and 2 female. Woehoe, up till 2 days ago I thought I will be going alone, and I've convinced 4 others to join!:p They have Hebrew-Dutch, Hebrew-English, Hebrew-French prayer book, so we were quite contented. Every now and then a lady came to us explaining where we are.

I especially like the way they sing from Psalms. It's beautiful! And it was read from the scroll (means: without vowels nor notes as in the book-version). I was enjoying myself looking around, watching people and reading the translation.

The people there are quite friendly. It's nice to visit when they don't mind you visiting.:p

It definitely is a nice and rare experience. Glad I had the chance. I was speaking to a man about me having been wanting to visit a synagoge for several years and he was so glad to hear that. He even asked whether I'll come again next week.:p Ok, it was just that he was not at ease when I said I don't think there is a synagoge in my country and he wanted to check (and tell me the answer) with his 'handbook for Jewish traveller'.

Shabbat Shallom!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wah asyik juga ya. Jadi pengin juga aku.
Semasa sekolahku, di Surabaya ada, bukan museum tetapi dipakai. Letaknya di jl Kayun. Rasanya masih ada sekarang.
Waktu itu cukup banyak Jews di Sby. Ada yg punya bookstore, ada yg Jeweller

Anonymous said...

from Benam
Good girl my sister for this fast report. all the same you miss a lot of details. for instance the time we set to meet at Ans's place, the time start journeying to the place, our arrival time, the tight security we met at the entrance checking those of you with bag, how we were the only ones to bike, the coffee and wine we had,the prayers before and after that snack, the duration of the service,how you were forbidden not to take pictures....

Anonymous said...

Vit,kalau ngga salah di Surabaya ada loh... soalnya ada sekelompok jew yg memang pindah ke Indonesia waktu jaman dulu.