Thursday 15 December 2005

Addressing Others

Suppose A and B come from different culture. How should one address the other?

I think several things matter:
1. What language do they use?
For example, when the term mevrouw is used, it's fine with me, but I would object to be called Mrs.
2. The best, of course, is to get to an agreement which satisfies both parties (polder model, mufakat).
3. But if agreement is not reached, what next?

Personally, I think if A should respect who B is and call him/her by how B wants to be address, not by how A wants to address him/her; and vice versa. Just as we do not change our friends' names according to what we want them to be, we should respect how others want to be called.

Do not change me into someone I'm not! There is no use of enforcing a certain culture.

2 comments:

Patricia Astrid said...

aku paling nggak suka dipanggil ibu hehe ... artinya keliatan dah rada2 berumur hihi, kalo dipanggil mbak, yes deh dalam hati.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.