Friday 30 December 2005

muisjes or hagelslag

When I was young, I always put 'hagelslag' on my bread. By that time, mom told me that its name is 'muisjes' -- that's the Dutch word (Don't mixed up with meisjes; muis = mouse, notice the similarity between hagelslag and excrement of mice). I noticed that in the package there was the word 'hagelslag' as well, but I thought it was the English word.

Once I was curious about the Indonesian word for 'muisjes' and found 'coklat roti' -- but nobody seems to use this term.

When I was in NL, I learnt that the thing that I know as 'muisjes' is called 'hagelslag' by the Dutch and 'muisjes' is a different thing! Once I met a Dutch girl who insisted that Dutch is the only creature on earth to use hagelslag on their bread -- well, me as well!

Now back in my home country, I looked around and see several packages of hagelslag. Here are some that I saw: muisjes, hagelslag, mesis, meises.

The question is: where is the missing link? If we learnt 'muisjes' from the Dutch, why did we call 'hagelslag' as 'muisjes'? Isn't it easier to pronounce 'hagelslag' than 'muisjes'?

11 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ime' said...

hheh, gak tau ah. yang jelas, gue gak suka dua-duanya :)) hidup tosti kopong :))

Anonymous said...

muisjes (indo version) + roti itu makanan umum banget buat org indo. hampir semua temen waktu sd makan roti + muisjes.
hagelslag, atau coklat tai beurit (tahi tikus) kata org2 di rumah gue, gue rasa lebih tepat disebut muisjes ketimbang muisjes org belanda yg colorful itu, soalnya kan emang lebih mirip tahi tikus. jadi org indonesia lebih "bener"..:P
jangan2 itu kata muisjes ditemuin org belanda yg di indonesia... (maksa), atau org indonesia yg bisa ngomong belanda di jaman knil dulu (maksa juga).

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ime' said...

savitri, yang diatas itu bukan gue, please deh ah... apaan sih nih?

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Vit, elu pasti tahu juga kalo itu yg di atas bukan gue. Heran ada org yg kagak ada kerjaan kayak gitu. Pake2 nama org sembarang.

mer

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.