Tuesday 6 March 2007

Esperanto

I started to learn Esperanto this week. It's a planned language (most languages are natural languages), sometimes considered artificial.

A notable aspect is its regularity - no exceptions. When I started to learn Dutch, I was told that the most important rule is: "There's always exceptions".

Actually, the biggest surprise was to read that Bahasa Indonesia is also considered a planned language. In a way it makes sense (we all learnt that it was rooted on Malay), but still ... when I read that Bahasa Indonesia was planned by a group of Dutch linguists ... I didn't know what to think about it. Can anyone tell me the story?

4 comments:

Merlyna said...

really cool! do you know that once Esperanto was proposed to be an international language because it's easy?
indonesian is of course a made-up (I always use this term) language. It's a new one, made of so many natural languages.

Savitri said...

Yes, I read about it too. According to my aunt, when she was a kid, there was an Esperanto section in the newspaper.

Anonymous said...

Bonvenon en la Esperanto-komunumo. Ni havas blogon germanlingve pri Esperanto-placo en Berlin.

Savitri said...

dankon!