Tuesday 27 March 2007

Fibromyalgia

I went to see a neurologist yesterday and his diagnosis was: fibromyalgia. Fibromyalgia is widespread pain in the muscles, ligaments, and tendons. It was developed by bad habitual posture and worsen by lack of exercises, more common in female than male (some said the ratio is 4:1).

Improving my condition means changing into good posture, exercise, going for physiotherapy, and medicine will only support the other means.

He then sent me to a female physiotherapist and she ran a physical examination described in many websites that discusses fibromyalgia. She pressed her thumb in many spots on my body (head to toe). Surprisingly enough, though I thought my problem is on my neck, shoulder, and upper arm, I was hurt in ALL (!) spots -- yeah, head to toe! I jokingly 'begged' the doctor to stop pressing her thumb, otherwise she'll find more and more :-P

Good news is, when I mentioned my concern about this illness might hinder me from doing certain things in my career, he assured me that it will NOT. :-) I just need to diligently and continuously do all the recommended things and that's it. :-)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey Vit, we hope you get well soon. Thanks for sharing this information and thus we all can learn