Wednesday 13 April 2005

Farewell

Living away from my country, meeting people from many other places are great. But it also has its disadvantage: limited time. Obviously most of international students will go back to their own country after finishing their studies. And then, you'll never know whether there will be another time when you can see each other again.

I've spent my whole life moving around; my environment, friends, everything changes. But every farewell I've always thought we will see each other again another time -- that's before I moved abroad.

"I'll see you again, someday, if not in this world then in heaven." It's the sentence we've always said on every farewell in the church in Enschede. Sounds classic? But it's the only thing one can say, isn't it? How do you know you will ever travel to Uganda, for example? I think that's the best thing one can say in a farewell.

Lately I've been thinking about farewell. Many friends have gone, one has left to his creator, another is leaving very soon (too soon!), and my own time is almost up.

The following song is dedicated to all my friends -- those that have gone, is going soon, and also those that are fortunate enough to have reasonable hope to see each other again in this earth.

Friends
Words: Deborah D. Smith
Music: Michael W. Smith

Packing up the dreams God planted
In the fertile soil of you
Can't believe the hopes He's granted
Means a chapter in your life is through

But we'll keep you close as always
It won't even seem you've gone
'Cause our hearts in big and small ways
Will keep the love that keeps us strong

Chorus:
And friends are friends forever
If the Lord's the Lord of them
And a friend will not say "never"
'Cause the welcome will not end

Though it's hard to let you go
In the Father's hands we know
That a lifetime's not too long
to live as friends.


With the faith and love God's given
Springing from the hope we know
We will pray the joy you'll live in
Is the strength that now you show


But we'll keep you close as always
It won't even seem you've gone
'Cause our hearts in big and small ways
Will keep the love that keeps us strong

Back to Chorus

No comments: